The following statement does not exhaust the extent of our faith, as the Bible itself is our sole, final, and infallible rule of faith and practice. While we recognize that true believers may disagree on some of the issues of the statement and still part of the family of God, we affirm that this Statement accurately represents the teaching of the Bible and serves to clarify specific doctrines taught in this local church.
Please see the Treatise of the Faith and Practices of the National Association of Free Will Baptists, Pages 35-36
THE BIBLE. The Scriptures of the Old and
New Testament were given by inspiration of
God and are an infallible rule of faith and practice.
GOD. There is one living and true
God, revealed in nature as Creator, Preserver, and
Righteous Governor of the universe; and in the Scripture as Father, Son and Holy Ghost, yet as one God infinitely wise and good, whom all intelligent creatures are supremely to love, adore and obey.
3. CHRIST. Is God manifest in the flesh; in His divine nature truly God, in His human nature, truly man. The mediator between God and man, once crucified, He is now risen and glorified and is our ever present Savior and Lord.
THE HOLY SPIRIT. The Scriptures assign
to the Holy Spirit all the attributes of God. He
is the Reprover, Comforter, Guide and Sanctifier of men.
5. THE GOVERNMENT OF GOD. God exercises a wise and benevolent providence over all beings and all things by maintaining the constitution and laws of nature. He also performs special acts of grace, not otherwise provided for, as the highest welfare of man requires.
OF MAN. Man
was created innocent, but by disobedience fell into a state
of sin and condemnation. His posterity, therefore, inherited a fallen nature of such
tendencies that all come to the age of accountability, sin, and become guilty before God.
7. THE WORK OF CHRIST. The Son of God by His incarnation, life suffering death and resurrection affected for all redemption from sin that is full and free and is the grounds of salvation by faith.
8. THE TERMS OF SALVATION. The terms of salvation are:
1) A godly and sincere sorrow for sin that leads to repentance and thus the hearty renunciation of it.
2) Faith and the unreserved committal of one's self to Christ as Savior and Lord, with purpose to love and obey Him in all things.
3) Continuance in faith and obedience until death.
9. ELECTION. God determined from the beginning to save all who should comply with the conditions of salvation. Hence by faith in Christ, men become His elect.
10. FREEDOM OF WILL. The human will is free and self-controlled, having power to yield to the influence of the truth and the Spirit and live, or to resist them and perish.
11. PERSEVERANCE. All believers in Christ, who through grace, persevere in holiness to the end of life; have the promise of eternal salvation.
GOSPEL OF ORDINANCES. Baptism,
or the immersion of believers in water, and in the
Lord's Supper are ordinances to be perpetuated under the Gospel; Feet Washing, as
ordinance teaching humility, of universal obligation, and to be administered to all believers.
TITHING. God commanded tithes and
offerings in the Old Testament: Jesus endorsed it
in the Gospel (Matt. 23:23) and the Apostle Paul said, "Upon the first day of the week let
every one of you lay by him in store as God hath prospered him." (1 Cor. 16:2)
THE CHRISTIAN SABBATH. The
divine law requires that one day in seven are to be
set apart from secular employments and amusements, for rest, worship, holy works and
activities, and for personal communion with God.
15. RESURRECTION, JUDGMENT AND FINAL RETRIBUTION. The Scriptures teach the resurrection of all men at the last day. They that have done good will come forth to the resurrection of life, and they that have done evil unto the resurrection of damnation; then the wicked shall 'go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.'
16. CREATION: We believe that God created the universe and all of its contents in six literal, 24-hour periods. We reject evolution, the Gap Theory, the Day-Age Theory and Theistic Evolution as unscriptural theories of origin. Furthermore, we believe that God had also previously created the angels to worship Him, obey His commandments, minister and execute His judgments upon the world. (GENESIS 1-2; EXODUS 20:11; PSALM 103:20; JOHN 1:1-4; HEBREWS 1:14; REVELATION 4:11).
17. CIVIL GOVERNMENT: We believe that God has ordained and created all authority consisting of three basic institutions: 1) the home; 2) the Church; and 3) the state. Every person is subject to these authorities, but all (including the authorities themselves) are answerable to God and governed by His Word. God has given each institution specific Biblical responsibilities and balanced those responsibilities with the understanding that no institution has the right to infringe upon the other. The home, the Church, and the state are equal and sovereign in their respective Biblically assigned spheres of responsibility under God (ROMANS 13:1-7; EPHESIANS 5:22-24; HEBREWS 13:17; I PETER 2:13-14).
18. DIVORCE & REMARRIAGE: We believe that God hates divorce and intends marriages to last until one of the spouses dies. Divorce and remarriage is regarded as adultery except on the ground of fornication. Although divorce and adultery are clearly sins which may be forgiven, and although divorced and/or remarried persons may be members and hold positions of service in the Church (and are capable of being greatly used of God in Christian service), they may not be considered for the offices of pastor or deacon. This would violate the Biblical principle of keeping such offices “blameless” (MAL 2:14-17; MATTHEW 19:3-2; ROMANS 7:1-3; I TIMOTHY 3:2, 12; TITUS 1:6).
19. ABORTION: We believe that human life begins at conception and that the unborn child is a living human being. Abortion constitutes the unjustified, unexcused taking of unborn human life and, as such, is murder. We reject any teaching that abortions of pregnancies due to rape, incest, birth defects, gender selection, birth or population control, or the mental well-being of the mother are an acceptable practice, particularly for the believer. (JOB 3:16; PSALMS 51:5; 139:14-16; ISAIAH 44:24; 49:1,5; JEREMIAH 1:5; 20:15-18; LUKE 1:44).
20. LAWSUITS BETWEEN BELIEVERS We believe that Christians are prohibited from bringing civil lawsuits against other Christians, or the Church, to resolve personal disputes. We believe the Church possesses all the resources necessary to resolve personal disputes between members. We do believe, however, that a Christian may seek compensation for injuries form another Christian’s insurance company as long as the claim is pursued without malice or slander (I CORINTHIANS 6:1-8; EPHESIANS 4:31-32).
21. HUMAN SEXUALITY
Please see the Treatise of the Faith and Practices of the National Association of Free Will Baptists, 2013 edition, Page 19 entitled “Appendix to Chapter IV, Section 1
“Both Scripture and nature as designed by God affirm the life-long covenantal union of one man, being male as created by God, and one woman, being female as created by God, in a one-flesh relationship. The one flesh relationship is emblematic of the union of Christ and His Church. It is the sole and beautiful context of the divine plan for marital relationship of man and woman as image-bearers of God as well as the foundation for the family as the basic divinely ordained unit of human society. Violations of this one-flesh union whether heterosexual or homosexual, premarital or extramarital contravene the divine plan for the family and for the conception and rearing of children, bringing spiritual despair, guilt and death to individuals and cultures. Genesis 1:26-28; 2:18, 20-25, Exodus 20:14; Deuteronomy 5:18; Mathew 19:4-6; Romans 1:18-22; 1 Corinthians 7:1-5; Ephesians 5:21-33, 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5; Hebrews 13:4”.
New Life FWBC Statement on Marriage, Gender, and Sexuality
· We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as male or female. These two distinct, complementary genders together reflect the image and nature of God. (Gen 1:26-27.) Rejection of one’s biological sex is a rejection of the image of God within that person.
· We believe that the term “marriage” has only one meaning: the uniting of one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union, as delineated in Scripture. (Gen 2:18-25.) We believe that God intends sexual intimacy to occur only between a man and a woman who are married to each other. (1 Cor 6:18; 7:2-5; Heb 13:4.) We believe that God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of a marriage between a man and a woman.
· We believe that any form of sexual immorality (including adultery, fornication, homosexual behavior, bisexual conduct, bestiality, incest, and use of pornography) is sinful and offensive to God. (Matt 15:18-20; 1 Cor 6:9-10.)
· We believe that in order to preserve the function and integrity of New Life Free Will Baptist Church as the local Body of Christ, and to provide a biblical role model to the New Life Free Will Baptist Church members and the community, it is imperative that all persons employed by New Life Free Will Baptist Church in any capacity, or who serve as volunteers, agree to and abide by this Statement on Marriage, Gender, and Sexuality. Therefore neither New Life FWBC nor any of its ministers may perform or facilities be used to host weddings that are contrary to this Statement on Marriage, Gender, and Sexuality. (Matt 5:16; Phil 2:14-16; 1 Thess 5:22.) (Also please see NLFWBC Facility Use Policy)
· We believe that God offers redemption and restoration to all who confess and forsake their sin, seeking His mercy and forgiveness through Jesus Christ. (Acts 3:19-21; Rom 10:9-10; 1 Cor 6:9-11.)
· We believe that every person must be afforded compassion, love, kindness, respect, and dignity. (Mark 12:28-31; Luke 6:31.) Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are to be repudiated and are not in accord with Scripture nor the doctrines of New Life Free Will Baptist Church.lick here to edit text